Thursday, February 11, 2016

Appalachian Idyll Book Review

Appalachian Idyll: 1968-1975

By Brad Jolly

The sixties arrived a bit late in Appalachia and with some distinctive twists. The quest for pastoral peace was sometimes sidetracked by psychedelics, promiscuity, and police. 

The recollections in this book should spur some memories for those who were there, or were living as recklessly elsewhere, and convey the flavor of the times for those who weren't.

...........................................................................
MY HONEST REVIEW OF Appalachian Idyll

This is an account of the narrator as he travels the drug-infested hippie scene of the sixties and seventies. I felt like the storytelling was disjointed. It seemed to skip haphazardly, and leave out large chunks of time. It depicted the main character as self-centered with no depth whatsoever. I know that that is accurate for this time period, as I also lived through it, but I just couldn’t draw a personality from him, or any of the other characters. The read was just humdrum, continually waiting for something to come of it. It had no ending, but just abruptly stopped. The statement “It was clear enough to me now that relationships didn’t last long when you were broke” near the end of the book pretty well summed up what this was about.

My review can also be found at:
    AMAZON     GOODREADS
...........................................................................

**The above opinions are 100% my own, whether I purchased the book or it was given to me to review.


Buy the book from...

Follow the Author

No comments:

Post a Comment